The Charlotte County Imagination Library is an affiliate of Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, which originated in Sevierville, Tennessee in 1996. The Imagination Library has grown to serve over 1.5 million children across the United States as well as Canada and the United Kingdom.
The Charlotte County Imagination Library was launched in 2011 by local salon and spa business owner Shawn Smith of Turning Heads South By Shawn & Co. Growing up in Tennessee Shawn had seen firsthand what a difference the gift of literacy could mean for the children of a community. Shawns vision of bringing the gift of literacy to Charlotte County children required that he partner with an established 501(c)3 Non-Profit. Shawn joined forces with Sherrie Moody of the Charlotte Players, the oldest 501(c)3 in Charlotte County and a great partnership was formed.
Our program is run by local educators, business owners and community supporters and is funded by local business sponsors and community donations.
Our purpose is to promote early childhood development, encourage parent-child interaction, enhance children’s literacy and better prepare youngsters for kindergarten.
We welcome all children under the age of five to enroll in this program. There is no better time to start reading to a child than now. The Charlotte County Imagination Library is excited to be able to offer this service to the children and parents of our community!
How the Imagination Library Works:
Early childhood literacy is what children know before they learn to read.
By planting the seeds of literacy early in life, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library:
- Encourages positive parent-child interactions
- Improves readiness for kindergarten
- Sets the foundation for success in school, which sets the foundation for success in life.
Children who participate in the program:
- Recognize pictures, numbers and words
- Understand what a story is
- Know how to flip through a book
- Know the joy of receiving a gift in the mail every month
- Love reading stories with their parents caregivers
- Are better prepared for kindergarten
It’s easy to participate:
- Parents register their children by completing a simple form
- Children can be enrolled online in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library by going to www.imaginationlibrary.com
- Approximately 2 months after registration, the first book arrives in the mail, from the Dollywood Foundation in a clear plastic wrapper so it is immediately recognizable
- A new book arrives in the mail free of charge to the family every single month until the child’s fifth birthday